Wednesday, 1 May 2013

A Teacher remembered - 'Heart' of Cumberland school stops beating

Comox Valley Record - 'Heart' of Cumberland school stops beating



I am so sad today to hear about Mr. Newman passing away. I personally have not talked with him or seen him in many years but I have so many memories of this wonderful man.
When we moved from Chemainus to Royston I was going from 6th to 7th grade and which should have been a fantastic year turned into a very troubling move and year. I had a really hard time adjusting to middle school vs elementary school. And even though I had made some friends, I just never felt comfortable with many aspects of my life then. I dropped out of public school and home schooled for the last 2 months of grade 7. I did not want to go back but my Mom and I worked with Mr. Ted Newman, a learning assistance teacher at Cumberland Junior, and he helped me on my way back to return for grade 8.
I will always be grateful to him! Grade 8 and 9 at Cumberland Junior were wonderful growing years for me. I learned so much and started to figure out who I was because a gentle hearted teacher helped me along the way. He was my homeroom teacher for 2 years. His consistency, dedication, and smiles helped get me through some very tough teenage years. I credit part of who I am today to this man.
I so wish that I could go to this celebration of life but such if my life now that it doesn't work for me to attend but I will be there in spirit. I truly hope that he knows how important he was to so many students, staff and peers.
Thank you Mr. Newman, you will be missed!

No comments:

Post a Comment